About your Local Architects
Bluelime Home Design are based in Dartford and the Midlands, and are Designers and Project Managers expert in local planning restrictions and building costs. Ultimately saving you money by getting it right first time and using trusted builders.
Bluelime Home Design was established by founder and MD Glenn Williams in 2006 to focus primarily on designing and project managing retail stores throughout the UK. Having been previously employed by Specsavers they became Bluelime Home Design's first and biggest client and were responsible for adding over 100 stores to their portfolio.
As the business grew Bluelime Home Design began to also focus on house design which was a natural progression due to Glenn's extensive experience in this market of over 20 years. In fact Glenn was earning money from designing houses whilst studying for his Degree In Construction Engineering and Management at Jordans town University of Ulster back in 1994 and dreamt of following his passion once again.
Bluelime Home Design is now the fastest growing house designers in their region, covering the areas of Dartford, Bexley, Blackheath, Greenwich, Lewisham, Dulwich and Bromley, and now also Derby, Ashby and Burton Upon Trent. We expect to be completing 1 project per day by year end.
We think this is testament to the customer focused attention we provide at every stage of our service.
Glenn Williams Bsc (Hons) MCIOB MBEng MCABE
Craziest thing ever done:
Mmmm! - Bungee Jump
Managing director Glenn Williams is the founder of Bluelime Home Design and it is his personal commitment and drive that helps push the business to further success. With a wealth of management and design experience in the retail and real estate sectors, Glenn spotted a shortfall in the level of service provided to householders wishing to extend their homes in his home area of Bexley in Kent and generally across the South East. In particular there seemed to be a reluctance to focus on cost as part of the design process. Glenn sees this as fundamental, how can our clients make an informed decision about what design to go for if they don't know how much each one is going to cost. There is always more ways than one to achieve your dream home. We design and cost out each of them so you can make an informed decision on what one to go for. Glenn remains a major ambassador for the company, as well as intimately involved in day-to-day design and project management.
Glenn’s CV includes a four year stint leading the contract management department of Europe’s largest optical retailer, where he was responsible for building almost a quarter of the company’s 1300 stores – reducing average shopfit costs by 30% and duration by 20%. During his tenure on the board of directors of a leading property consultancy, he helped secure a seven-year public building maintenance contract, equating to £1m turnover in fees per year.
Mark Montgomery ACIOB
Lost control of my go kart and hit the tyre wall at over 80mph! - It hurt!Mark is a bit of a petrol head!
He races go karts in his spare time and is actually quite good. Although we do reckon he thinks he’s better than he really is. He’s a bit of saddo actually and likes nothing more than tinkering with his engine. Yawn!
In his professional life you will get no-one more solid than Mark. He is very dependable and just gets the job done. No fuss, no stress, gets the head down and delivers on time. Over the past 25 years Mark has gained vast experience and expertise in the management and design of construction projects of various sizes and complexity. However Marks forte is his understanding and ability in providing high quality designs that can be built on sensible budgets rather than just throwing money at unrealistic elaborate ideas that will never be affordable. He is also an accredited energy assessor.
Home extensions and conversions are Mark's speciality. He is able to quickly gauge your requirements and produce several designs that will give you what you need. His humour and wit means dealing with Mark on your project is always a pleasure with a little hint of fun along the way once you get to know him.
Craziest thing ever done:
Don’t think I can mention it here!
Norman loves Rugby. He still thinks he is a rugby player. He used to play at quite a high level for Ulster in N.Ireland but unfortunately he is now too old and slow!
So he now plays more golf than rugby and generally tries to keep fit. Norman again is very dependable. He has an eye for detail and a knack of creating homes people love. His vast knowledge specialising in designing UK homes means there is nothing he hasn’t come across before. He is well versed in UK planning restrictions and is often able to get approvals first time round. UK Building Regulations can be a bit of a minefield but Norman knows exactly what to apply when and how best to meet the requirements whilst keeping the project affordable at all times.
He is a huge asset to our business and is actually just quite huge generally. Larger than life character and great fun as part of our team.
Alison Williams BA (Hons)
Craziest thing ever done:
Skydive (I’m actually scared of heights)
Alison has been with the business from day one through thick and thin. Nothing really gets passed her. Hot on the numbers and keeping costs down she is always giving everybody a hard time – joking Alison. She is very dependable and pretty much keeps everything in check not just the numbers. With three lovely children demanding time at Karate, Gymnastics, Football, Dancing, Hockey and Cricket there isn’t much time left to do other stuff although she has been known to squeeze in a nice glass (or 2) of Chapel Down rose at the weekend.
Operations Director Midlands
Craziest thing ever done:
Swam with sharks
The frontman directing our Derby, Burton-on-Trent and Ashby-De-La-Zouch Operations is our very own crisp monster Darren McClintock. Darren brings with him a can-do, ‘never say die’ attitude to every project we undertake. Having spent many years behind bars (working as a bar man during his Uni days!!) Darren developed a penchant for pickled onion crisps, flying power kites and taught himself how to be a disappointingly mediocre golfer. With a multitude of experience in senior management positions across a number of different sectors, Darren’s Sales/Marketing/Project Management experience ensures that he never misses those all-important Planning Application, Building Control and Final Completion deadlines.
Dana Schrenck BA (Hons)
Craziest thing ever done:
Owned and rode a unicycle
No matter if it's Cycling, Judo, Dancing, Juggling, Painting, Horse riding, she's done them all. Very energetic and with a curious personality, she takes challenges with a positive humour, which is quite a good deal, since she loves saying YES to challenges.
With more than 12 years of artistic background, there's no doubt she's going to nail your perfect design. Whether you know exactly what suits you, or you prefer to talk about how the cats love to play all over the house or how many quests you had for dinner, she'll know exactly how to talk you through and create the space you need.
It's always fun to work with a spontaneous person like Dana, and when creativity strikes, Baaam! You better take a photo of your new house extension and send it over, so everyone can see your home.
Dana is currently RIBA (Royal Institute of British Architects) Part 2 qualified having studied a 7 year Architectural Degree and Masters at the University of Architecture and Urban Planning Bucharest, RO
What makes Bluelime Home Design different...
To ensure you get the absolute best design that you are completely happy with it is important we complete several layout options for you to consider. We will work through these options together taking the best from each one and coming up with a final design that you are completely happy with. This is a unique part of our service. Most Architectural Designers will design you one option on a take it or leave it basis. We want to make sure that together we have thought of everything and the only way to do this is to present several layouts that will meet your requirements in different ways.
We also provide budget costs relating to each layout option to give indicative construction costs in advance of tender returns from contractors. This is beneficial to determine if the scheme needs to be adjusted in size or complexity to meet your budget expectation in advance of appointing building contractors to price. This is also a unique part of our service and not normally offered by Architectural Designers. To us this is an absolute essential part of the service – there is no point us designing you something that you cannot afford. Builders prices fluctuate for various reasons but we are comfortable that our budget estimates are representative of industry standard costs. This de-risks the financial investment for you.
We pride ourselves in the amount of detail and specification we include in our construction designs and as part of our service we also carry out full Mechanical, Electrical, Lighting and Drainage designs. We also provide a full door schedule including ironmongery requirements for each door. Ultimately this reduces risk and cost for our clients as the building contractor has all the information they require to provide an accurate quotation from the outset. This leaves nothing to chance and ensures your construction budget is never exceeded throughout the build as a result of inadequate or insufficient information provided at the design stage.
You can rest assured that your development is in safe hands and that you will always be covered in the unlikely event anything should go wrong. As a Limited Company we carry full Employers, Public and Products Liability insurance up to £2,000,000 and Professional Indemnity insurance up to £250,000. We also ensure that any contractors we use have suitable Public and Employers Liability also (They don’t need Professional Indemnity).
We always give a full breakdown of our fees so you can see exactly what you are paying for up front. It is worth noting that every project we have completed to date has increased the value of the property beyond the cost of design and build. Even if your circumstances change; having planning permission for an extension to your house alone will increase the value of your property beyond the fee cost. So whatever way you do it - investing money on your home is the safest investment you can possibly make.
Bluelime Home Design Services...
Creativity in design, uniqueness in project delivery and desire to go the extra mile for every one of our clients allow us to produce individual property extensions and interiors at the forefront of design and function.
Whether you prefer a modern contemporary look and feel to your property or something more traditional we offer the complete service from property survey and design to project management and completion of your newly built home.
Sympathetic to your busy lifestyle we take care of everything ensuring your ideal living environment becomes reality pain free.
Often dealing with occupied properties we are completely in touch with your everyday living requirements. Working closely with the builders we will make the property development process a comfortable journey involving and helping you every step of the way.
The following is an extract from our service portfolio, but effectively we take care of whole property development process. We design your new home, we make all the necessary Local Authority applications and get it approved. That includes Planning Permission and Building Control approval. We produce construction drawings and specification and issue these to the builders for pricing. We advise on the best builder to use and we can manage the works all the way through meaning you don't need to worry about a thing.
- Measured CAD Survey of your existing property
- Existing layout and elevation design
- Proposed layout and elevation design options
- Build budgets for each design option
- Final planning phase drawings and documentation
- Planning application to local authority
- Design and access statement
- Structural details
- Construction drawings including Mechanical, Electrical and drainage design
- Building control application
- Specification writing
- Production of tender documentation
- Assistance with selection of tendering contractors
- Analyses of contractor tender returns
- Advice and recommendation of most appropriate contractor
- Appointment of contractor on your behalf
- Production of contract documentation
- Placing of contracts to safeguard all parties
- Project Management of the building work
- Handover of completed building
- Management of defect liability period to ensure any snagging or defects are rectified by builder
- Final sign off by building control inspector and issuing of final completion certificate
Here at Bluelime Home Designs we offer a free design consultation
What you get at your free design consultation worth at least £450
- Expert advice for as long as you want by one of our own lead designers either at your property or over the phone whichever is most convenient for you
- An assessment of your property highlighting site restrictions and any issues we may need to think about during the design
- A full detailed analyses of what type of extension/remodel will work within the area you have
- Several layout ideas that will give you the extra space you need
- Design ideas on what we have created for others and how these could work for you
- A visual check on drainage issues – due to new regulations it is very important we get this right now
- A visual assessment of potential impact on neighbours
- Design proposals sympathetic with neighbour requirements and your local area
- Detail on how we can blend the extension in with your existing house and available space
- Detail on how we can create the best open plan Kitchen/Dining area specifically within your home
- Detail on how we can maximize natural light in this area
- Ideas on the best sort of Kitchen layout that will make it perfect for anything from entertaining your guests to feeding the children
- Detail on how we can make this space open out in to your garden area bringing the outside in
- Perhaps you have a conservatory that you can’t use (too cold in the winter, too hot in the summer) – we will explain the best way to make that space more usable and comfortable too
- Full detailed explanation about the various processes involved and regulations you need to comply with in 'lay man' terms.
- Detail on the various applications that need to be made to keep you within the law and cost involved
- A likely approximate build cost and program
- Detailed cost breakdown of everything involved
- Likely time scales involved from start to finish taking into account planning permission and various other mandatory approvals
- Guidance on what is likely to get passed the planners
- Options on how we can fastback things if need be e.g. Permitted Development
- Detail on how to save money with your project
- Likely increased value of your house if you go ahead with the work
- Things to be wary of
Get your free personalised design
Within 24 hours of your free design consultation you will get your own free personal 9 page design report explaining everything you need to know about your project specifically, detailing the following:
- Full project brief confirming what it is we are trying to achieve by extending your home
- How we will achieve this with various different options
- Specific concerns that need to be addressed as part of the design
- There are normally many ways of giving you what you want – we’ll explain them all here too
- How to keep yourself protected throughout the works
- How to get your project in on budget
- How to save money
- How extending your home is the best investment you will ever make
- Next steps involved to get your project underway