Single Storey Extension
PLANNING AUTHORITY DARTFORDFor our clients at 20 Woolbrook Road, Crayford, we undertook a complete Architectural Design Service creating a modern single storey Kitchen Extension. During the design process we created several different options incorporating flat roof and pitched roof designs. With the clever placement of glass roof lights and bifolding doors, all options maximised the amount of available natural light into the open plan Kitchen/Diner. Our designers were also able to create a nice seamless transition and flow from the outside by incorporating a flush and level patio area with identical floor finishes inside and out. We also converted the garage into store, WC and utility room which created much needed additional space away from the Kitchen area.
What was included in this home renovation project
- Measured CAD survey
- Concept designs in AutoCAD
- Planning permission application
- Structural Detailing
- Construction drawings including Drainage, Mechanical and Electrical Drawings
- Building Control Application
- Budget Costing
Architectural services carried out during this project:Kitchen/diner renovation Extension
Looking for a South East Architect?Our Closest Bluelime Home Design Office to this project is Dartford we also have offices also in Bexley, Erith, Croydon and Bromley. Our Project Design Brief Was:
- Demolish existing conservatory and Lean-To kitchen section to rear of property making room for new wrap around single storey extension.
- Remove existing ground floor WC to open up the existing hallway.
- Build new single storey wrap around extension to rear/RH side.
- Suggest going into rear garden with extension 4m from existing main house rear wall (not conservatory wall) and going full width of house plus width of new side extension which will be to the width and connecting to the existing garage.
- Demolish existing kitchen external rear walls to form large, luxurious open plan Kitchen/Diner continuing into new side extension.
- This will provide a fantastic large open plan rectangular space for your Kitchen/Diner perfect for incorporating an island unit/breakfast bar and dining table. Perhaps even a soft seating chill out area as well.
- Add bifold doors to rear elevation maximising natural light in Kitchen/Diner bringing the outside in. I would also like to design a further option with a window over the sink just to make sure we have considered everything. This will also provide a nice outlook over the garden.
- Raise Patio Area creating flush floor finish through Bifolds into Kitchen/Diner. In summer with the doors open this creates a seamless transition between outside and inside effectively making the Kitchen/Diner feel even larger. Particularly if new raised external patio area is fitted with identical tiled floor finish to Kitchen/Diner.
- Form new step from proposed raised Patio Area to Garden.
- Recommend new wet under floor heating system to Kitchen/Diner connected to boiler which will be located in Utility.
- Form new ground floor Utility Room/Boot Room in RH side of the side of the extension, as a Utility Room it doubles up as an overspill from the Kitchen where you can have your washing machine, tumble dryer, back up fridge freezer etc. maybe even a sink to wash the muddy shoes. Utility Rooms are great when you have guests and family around as you can pile up some of the dishes in there for washing up later. Some of our clients have even put a second dishwasher in here which can be quite handy.
- Form a WC with possible shower behind the Utility Room.
- Form a Playroom behind the WC utilizing some but not all of the garage space if required (customer will discuss with the designer after initial design options are presented)
- Extension roof options:
- New flat roof – Can incorporate large over-hanging roof such as image 10 attached. Can also incorporate LED lights. Creates a nice modern contrast to a traditional property, also easy to incorporate glass skylights maximising natural light in this area. System flat roofs can create an even more modern roof finish. They are high performing, come with good guarantees, must be installed by approved installers but are more expensive. They create a seamless, slick, smooth modern finish. See image 8 and 10.
- New pitched roof – More in keeping with traditional house designs and tend to cost more than flat roofs, again can introduce remote controlled roof windows maximising natural light into this area. The ceiling can be flat to imitate the existing or vaulted to create a more open feel. This is the most popular form of extension roof construction and are pretty much maintenance free, you can also have a large overhanging section of roof with LED’s. See images 3, 4, and 5.
- With a well-designed and properly planned out single storey wrap around extension your property would increase in value considerably with you now having an open plan Kitchen/Diner, ground floor WC/Shower and Playroom which are all currently in high demand in the property market.
- Approximate construction budget £60,000 - £70,000 (Excluding Kitchen/Utilty)