Single Storey Extension & Open Plan Kitchen/Diner
PLANNING AUTHORITY APPROVED: BEXLEY COUNCIL
For our clients at 19 Cleve road our Lead Designer Aga created a modern and stylish single storey extension with a large overhanging eaves detail that continued either side of large format sliding glass doors into structural side panels. The open plan Kitchen/Diner wrapped around a large Living Room connecting with a Utility Room and ground floor Bathroom complete with sliding pocket doors to save space. We were really happy with how this project turned out taking into account a relatively confined site on a mid terrace house.
Our Brief Was:
- Demolish existing conservatory and outbuilding to rear of property making room for single storey extension.
- Build new single storey extension to rear.
- Suggest going into rear garden with extension 4m from existing main house rear wall (not conservatory wall) and going full width of house.
- Demolish existing dining room external rear wall to form large, luxurious open plan Kitchen/Diner.
- This will provide a fantastic large open plan “L” shaped space for your Kitchen/Diner perfect for incorporating an island unit/breakfast bar and dining table, even a soft seating chill out area as well.
- Add bi-folding doors to rear elevation maximising natural light in Kitchen/Diner bringing the outside in. I would also like to design a further option with a window over the sink just to make sure we have considered everything. This will also provide a nice outlook over the garden.
- Raise Patio Area creating flush floor finish through Bi-folds into Kitchen/Diner. In summer with the doors open this creates a seamless transition between outside and inside effectively making the Kitchen/Diner feel even larger. Particularly if new raised external patio area is fitted with identical tiled floor finish to Kitchen/Diner.
- Form new step from proposed raised Patio Area to Garden.
- Recommend new wet under floor heating system to Kitchen/Diner connected to new boiler to be located in Utility.
- Form new ground floor WC/Shower Wet Room in current Kitchen position.
- Form new ground floor Utility Room/Boot Room also in current Kitchen position with an external door to side alley and another door opening into Kitchen/Diner. This will provide an alternative entry to your house rather than having to go through your nice new Kitchen every time. The Utility Room in effect doubles up as a Boot Room where you can come into the house with muddy shoes, dog etc. and hide it all away from the main Kitchen/Diner which can be kept nice and clean. As a Utility Room it doubles up as an overspill from the Kitchen where you can have your washing machine, tumble dryer, back up fridge freezer etc. maybe even a sink to wash the muddy shoes. Utility Rooms are great when you have guests and family around as you can pile up some of the dishes in there for washing up later. Some of our clients have even put a second dishwasher in here which can be quite handy.
- Extension roof options:
- New flat roof – Can incorporate large over-hanging roof such as image 10 attached. Can also incorporate LED lights. Creates a nice modern contrast to a traditional property, also easy to incorporate glass skylights maximising natural light in this area. System flat roofs can create an even more modern roof finish. They are high performing, come with good guarantees, must be installed by approved installers but are more expensive. They create a seamless, slick, smooth modern finish. See image 8 and 10.
- New pitched roof – More in keeping with traditional house designs and tend to cost more than flat roofs, again can introduce remote controlled roof windows maximising natural light into this area. A vaulted ceiling can also be added to give it a more spacious/lighter feel. This is the most popular form of extension roof construction and are pretty much maintenance free, again you can have a large overhanging section of roof with LED’s. See images 3, 4, and 5.
- With a well-designed and properly planned out single storey rear extension your property would increase in value considerably with you now having an open plan Kitchen/Diner wIth separate Utility Room and ground floor Wet Room which are all currently in high demand in the property market.
- Approximate construction budget £60,000 - £70,000 (Excluding Kitchen)
What was included in this home renovation project
- Measured CAD survey
- Concept designs in Revit
- Planning permission application
- Structural Detailing
- Construction drawings including Drainage, Mechanical and Electrical Drawings
- Building Control Application
- Budget Costing
Our Closest Bluelime Home Design Office to this project is Bexley
we also have offices also in Bromley, Dartford