Double Storey Extension & Open Plan Kitchen/Diner
PLANNING AUTHORITY APPROVED: BEXLEY COUNCIL
For our clients at 23 Willow Close we created a new double storey side extension forming a new open plan Kitchen/Diner along with Utility/Boot Room. At first floor level the Bedrooms were extended along with addition of Ensuites. All design options were of a modern look and feel with the end result having a flat roof/soffit detail that wraps around the side of the house from the front giving continuity and linking the front elevation design with the side and rear.
What was included in this home renovation project
- Measured CAD survey
- Concept designs in Revit
- Planning permission application
- Structural Detailing
- Construction drawings including Drainage, Mechanical and Electrical Drawings
- Building Control Application
- Budget Costing
- Project Management
- Contractor Selection
For our clients at 23 Willow Close, Bexley we undertook a complete Architectural Design and Project Management service comprising of the following Project Brief:
- Build new double storey extension to L/H side.
- Suggest going into side garden with extension 4m from existing main house side wall and going full length of house.
- Demolish existing external rear walls to lounge/kitchen on the ground floor and bedrooms/bathroom on the first floor.
- Form an extended Kitchen/Diner from the existing kitchen into the new extension.
- This will provide a fantastic large open plan rectangular space for your Kitchen/Diner perfect for incorporating an island unit/breakfast bar and dining table. Perhaps even a soft seating chill out area as well.
- Suggest taking out existing fireplace and chimney in Lounge.
- Close off existing door to lounge from the hallway and form a new downstairs w.c. with an entrance door from the hallway and create a new doorway from the hall to the new kitchen/diner.
- Provide windows to side extension.
- Form new ground floor Utility Room/Boot Room behind the extended section of the kitchen/diner with an external door to side and another door opening into kitchen/diner. This will provide an alternative entry to your house rather than having to go through your nice new Kitchen every time. The Utility Room in effect doubles up as a Boot Room where you can come into the house with muddy shoes, dog etc and hide it all away from the main Kitchen/Diner which can be kept nice and clean. As a Utility Room it doubles up as an overspill from the Kitchen where you can have your washing machine, tumble dryer, back up fridge freezer etc. maybe even a sink to wash the muddy shoes. Utility Rooms are great when you have guests and family around as you can pile up some of the dishes in there for washing up later. Some of our clients have even put a second dishwasher in here which can be quite handy.
- Space behind the utility room will be an extended lounge into the new extension.
- Provide windows to side extension.
- Add “5” section bifold doors to existing lounge rear elevation maximising natural light bringing the outside in.
- Raise Patio Area creating flush floor finish through Bifolds into lounge. In summer with Bifolds open this creates a seamless transition between outside and inside effectively making the lounge feel even larger.
- Form new step from proposed raised Patio Area to Garden.
- Extension roof options:
- New flat roof – Can incorporate large over-hanging roof such as image 10 attached. Can also incorporate LED lights. Creates a nice modern contrast to a traditional property. Also easy to incorporate glass skylights maximising natural light in this area. System flat roofs can create an even more modern roof finish. They are high performing, come with good guarantees, must be installed by approved installers but are more expensive. They create a seamless, slick, smooth modern finish. See image 8 and 10.
- New pitched roof – More in keeping with traditional house designs and tend to cost more than flat roofs. Again can introduce remote controlled roof windows maximising natural light into this area. This is the most popular form of extension roof construction and are pretty much maintenance free. Again you can have a large overhanging section of roof with LED’s. See images 3, 4, and 5.
- With the double storey extension design I suggest we add a Velux roof window in the loft with a light tunnel above the landing location (see images 44 to 51). This will bring in natural light and ventilation above the existing staircase which will become quite dark due to its now more central location in your property.
- I see the LH rear bedroom becoming longer with an ensuite into the new side extension, form a corridor from the landing into a new R/H front bedroom of the new side extension and adjust walls to the extended bathroom to accommodate the corridor.
- With a well designed and properly planned out double storey side extension your property would increase in value considerably with you now having an extra bedroom and the master bedroom with an ensuite. An extended lounge plus downstairs w.c. Also an open plan Kitchen/Diner with separate utility/boot room which is currently in high demand in the property market.
- Approximate construction budget £80,000 - £100,000 (Excluding Kitchen/Bathroom Ancillaries)