Single Storey Extension, Loft Conversion, First Floor Side Extension
PLANNING AUTHORITY: ROYAL BOROUGH OF GREENWICH
Bluelime has designed a stunning new kitchen diner and entertainment area, plus 2 luxurious bedrooms through a Loft conversion & Single Storey Rear Extension.
There were multiple design options for our client to choose from to ensure planning permission which was approved. The Loft conversion consisted of 2 large double bedrooms, both with 2 Velux Rooflights and window view to the rear garden and we also managed to design a bathroom in the given space too. The Single Storey Rear Extension was a great addition to their family home as it created an luxurious open plan space fit for entertainment their friends and family, as well as a large kitchen work area with a breakfast island to separate the dinner space.
What was included in this home renovation project
For our clients at 31 The View, we undertook a complete Architectural Design Service comprising of the following Project Brief:
- Measured CAD survey
- Concept designs in AutoCAD
- Planning permission application
- Structural Detailing
- Construction drawings including Drainage, Mechanical and Electrical Drawings
- Building Control Application
- Budget Costing
- Rear single storey extension:
- Build new single storey extension to rear.
- Suggest going into rear garden with extension 4m from existing main house rear wall and going full width of house plus width of garage.
- Demolish existing external dining room/kitchen/garage rear walls and internal separating wall between dining room and kitchen to form large, luxurious open plan Kitchen/Diner continuing into existing garage extension.
- This will provide a fantastic large open plan rectangular space for your Kitchen/Diner perfect for incorporating an island unit/breakfast bar and dining table. Perhaps even a soft seating chill out area as well.
- Add bi-fold doors to rear elevation maximising natural light in Kitchen/Diner bringing the outside in. I would also like to design a further option with a window over the sink just to make sure we have considered everything. This will also provide a nice outlook over the garden.
- Raise Patio Area creating flush floor finish through Bi-folds into Kitchen/Diner. In summer with doors open this creates a seamless transition between outside and inside effectively making the Kitchen/Diner feel even larger. Particularly if new raised external patio area is fitted with identical tiled floor finish to Kitchen/Diner.
- Form new step from proposed raised Patio Area to Garden.
- Recommend new wet under floor heating system to Kitchen/Diner connected to new boiler to be located in Utility.
- Form a dividing stud wall from the Kitchen/Diner to the existing front Reception Room.
- Form new ground floor Utility Room/Boot Room in front of the existing WC/Shower Room with an external door to side alley and another door opening into Kitchen/Diner. This will provide an alternative entry to your house rather than having to go through your nice new Kitchen every time. The Utility Room in effect doubles up as a Boot Room where you can come into the house with muddy shoes, dog etc. and hide it all away from the main Kitchen/Diner which can be kept nice and clean. As a Utility Room it doubles up as an overspill from the Kitchen where you can have your washing machine, tumble dryer, back up fridge freezer etc. maybe even a sink to wash the muddy shoes. Utility Rooms are great when you have guests and family around as you can pile up some of the dishes in there for washing up later. Some of our clients have even put a second dishwasher in here which can be quite handy.
- Extension roof options:
- New flat roof – Can incorporate large over-hanging roof such as image 10 attached. Can also incorporate LED lights. Creates a nice modern contrast to a traditional property, also easy to incorporate glass skylights maximising natural light in this area. System flat roofs can create an even more modern roof finish. They are high performing, come with good guarantees, must be installed by approved installers but are more expensive. They create a seamless, slick, smooth modern finish. See image 8 and 10.
- New pitched roof – More in keeping with traditional house designs and tend to cost more than flat roofs, again can introduce remote controlled roof windows maximising natural light into this area. The ceiling can be flat to imitate the existing or vaulted to create a more open feel. This is the most popular form of extension roof construction and are pretty much maintenance free, you can also have a large overhanging section of roof with LED’s. See images 3, 4, and 5.
- First floor side extension:
- Extend over the existing RH garage footprint (if footing depth allows).
- Form one new Bedroom/en-suite to the front elevation with a window to the front in keeping with the existing and a new Bedroom/en-suite to the rear this Bedroom could have inward folding French doors and full height side windows flooding the Bedroom with natural light and creating a nice outlook over your garden.
- Adding a Juliet balcony means that in summer the French doors can be opened right up, again bringing the outside in. Privacy can be maintained with integral blinds. See images 21-25.
- The new roof would mirror the existing but with a gable end to maximize the space of a loft conversion.
- A loft conversion was also discussed:
- This would create an additional Master Bedroom and en-suite, plus Walk-In Wardrobe at second floor level.
- Add a box dormer to rear roof pitch which maximizes the available full head height floor space. These box dormers are much better than they used to be and can be finished in various colours of wall tiles, horizontal modern wood effect planks or coloured ‘K’ render. All these solutions are pretty much maintenance free and never need to be painted again. We can even install double French doors, with full height side glass panels and Juliet balconies providing more natural light and ventilation to this room and providing an amazing outlook over your garden. Have a look at images 35 to 43 to get an idea of the different finishes available.
- Install 2 Velux roof windows on front roof pitch bringing in more natural light to this front part of the loft.
- Ideally the staircase to the new loft rooms would go above the existing staircase and Bluelime designer will offer any available options.
- Ideally we would install a Velux roof window above the loft staircase bringing in natural light and ventilation to this area which can become quite dark due to it being located centrally in your property. (see images 44 to 51).
- With a well-designed and properly planned out loft conversion, single storey rear extension and first floor side extension your property would increase in value considerably with you now having two extra generous sized Bedrooms with En-suites plus Master Bedroom/En-suite, also an open plan Kitchen/Diner with separate Utility/Boot Room which are all currently in high demand in the property market.
- Approximate construction budget £170,000 - £180,000 (Excluding Kitchen/Bathrooms)