Single Storey Rear Extension & Loft Conversion
PLANNING AUTHORITY BEXLEY COUNCIL
For our clients at 11 Austen Road, we undertook designs replacing an old conservatory with a single-story rear extension incorporating an open plan Kitchen/Diner and Utility. We also completed designs for a loft conversion and rear dormer forming a new Bedroom and Ensuite at the second-floor level.
What was included in this home renovation project
- Measured CAD survey
- Concept designs in Revit
- Planning permission application
- Structural Detailing
- Construction drawings including Drainage, Mechanical, and Electrical Drawings
- Building Control Application
- Budget Costing
For our clients at 11 Austen Road, Erith we undertook a complete Architectural Design Services comprising of the following Project Brief:
- Demolish existing conservatory to the rear of property making room for new single-story extension.
- Build a new single-story extension to the rear.
- Suggest going into the rear garden with extension 4m from existing main house rear wall and going full width of the house plus connecting to the existing garage.
- Demolish existing kitchen external rear wall to form large, luxurious open plan Kitchen/Diner continuing into the new extension.
- This will provide a fantastic large open plan rectangular space for the Kitchen/Diner perfect for incorporating an island unit/breakfast bar and dining table, even a soft seating chill-out area as well.
- Add Bi-folding doors to rear elevation maximizing natural light in Kitchen/Diner bringing the outside in. I would also like to design a further option with a window over the sink just to make sure we have considered everything. This will also provide a nice outlook over the garden.
- Suggest raising new patio area creating flush floor finish through bi-folds into Kitchen/Diner. In summer with bi-folds open, this creates a seamless transition between outside and inside effectively making the Kitchen/Diner feel even larger. Particularly if the new raised external patio area is fitted with an identical tiled floor finish to Kitchen/Diner.
- Form a new step from the proposed raised Patio Area to the Garden.
- Form a new ground floor Utility Room into an existing garage with a connecting door to the new Kitchen/Diner and build a new extended garage towards the front of the existing property.
- Extension roof options:
- New flat roof – Can incorporate large over-hanging roof incorporating LED lights such as image 10 attached. Creates a nice modern contrast to a traditional property also easy to incorporate glass skylights maximizing natural light in this area.
- New pitched roof – More in keeping with traditional house designs and tend to cost more than flat roofs, again can introduce remote controlled roof windows maximizing natural light into this area. The ceiling can be vaulted to give a more spacious feel. This is the most popular form of extension roof construction and is pretty much maintenance-free, again you can have a large overhanging section of roof with LED. See images 3, 4, and 5.
- A loft conversion was also discussed.
- This would create an additional Master Bedroom and En-suite at the second-floor level.
- Add a box dormer/s to the rear roof pitch which maximizes the available full head height floor space. These box dormers are much better than they used to be and can be finished in various colors of wall tiles, horizontal modern wood effect planks, or colored ‘K’ render. All these solutions are pretty much maintenance-free and never need to be painted again. We can even install double French doors, with full height side glass panels and Juliet balconies providing more natural light and ventilation to this room and providing an amazing outlook over your garden. Have a look at images 35 to 43 to get an idea of the different finishes available.
- Install 2 Velux roof windows on the front roof pitch bringing in more natural light to this front part of the loft.
- Ideally, the staircase to the new loft rooms would go above the existing staircase and your dedicated designer will offer the best option.
- Normally we would install a Velux roof window above the loft staircase bringing in natural light and ventilation to this area which can become quite dark due to it being located centrally in your property.
- With a well-designed and properly planned out loft/garage conversion and single story extension your property would increase in value considerably with you now having a new Master Bedroom with En-suite, also an open plan Kitchen/Diner with a separate Utility Room and new Garage which are all currently in high demand in the property market.
- The approximate construction budget is always driven by the final design, so it is tricky to guestimate this at this very early stage. As a general rule, the current construction market dictates that the price per m2 of any new space created is between £1500-£2900+VAT dependent on the builder chosen, time of year, and the quality of finish.
Our Closest Bluelime Home Design Office to this project is Erith
, we also have offices also in Bexley