Obtaining consent on your self-build home

Embarking on a self-build is an exciting time. Not only can you create something unique, you can also ensure the plot is adapted to its full potential. But getting consent is a key part of the process – without it, you could find yourself severely limited in your options or (in more extreme cases) unable to inhabit your property at all. Here’s how to get consent on self-built homes.

Get the relevant surveys

A topographical survey is essential if you and your developers are to properly understand the site. As with any such activity, choosing a reputable firm is key as they will be able to provide the detailed technical information that you will need. The survey will also take into account the location’s relationship with other nearby developments, and the landscaping for the elements around the main home.

If your project is likely to affect trees and hedges, a tree survey and report will be needed. Again, choose a renowned local arboriculturalist, who can liaise with the council’s tree officer on your behalf and provide recommendations on mitigating harm to the flora.

Submit a pre-application

Anyone who has undertaken self-build projects before will tell you that there’s no point diving in and hoping for the best. Submitting a pre-application is a good way to receive guidance from the local planning authority, who will outline what is acceptable. This in turn means money won’t be wasted on drawings and designs that aren’t feasible and get rejected.

Deliver a clear brief

As with any property that’s being renovated or extended, a clear brief must be provided to the self-build architect. Without sufficient guidance, it can be easy for a creative architect to let their imagination run free, so ensure you have considered all angles of the project before you leave them to the drawings.

If you want to make the most of the views while ensuring the property remains in harmony with the landscape, specify this. If you need to ensure neighbours’ light won’t be blocked or the plans are viable for your budget, ensure the architect is aware. That way, you won’t need to go through several iterations before the drawings meet your needs.

Account for planning policies

Different local authorities have different sets of requirements when it comes to development. You’ll need to take into account the following:

  • A safe means of access to your plot is required – speaking to your local highway authority about this can solve potential issues
  • The risk of flood to the plot – if it’s affected, a flood risk assessment will be required
  • Any potential effects on conservation areas or listed buildings – not considering these could delay the project by several months

If you’re planning a self-build in the South East, choose a professional home designer nearby. Here at Bluelime Home design we have architects in Bromley, Dartford, Erith and Bexley, to help with drawing and planning applications. We’re a local firm with connections to the authorities and can advise on what you may need to think about when applying for consent.


Share this post